Duty Travel Coordination
Duty Travel Coordination
In support of the complex subject of duty travel, this website provides some general descriptions and links to various resources. The aim is to simplify and standardize the processes as much as possible. Travel arrangers and travel managers in each department are the first level of support for travellers.
The traveller must respect the provisions of Administrative Circular n ° 33 (January 2020) (“Missions”). In addition, during the mission, the member of personnel remains subject to the Staff Rules and Regulations and is expected to comply with the CERN Code of Conduct.
In particular, the traveller must :
- accurately complete the Mission Request / Travel request (TRVL) on EDH, indicating all the relevant elements concerning the planned itinerary, and wait for the approval of this request before incurring any costs whatsoever;
- choose the most appropriate and cost-effective means of transport, with due regard, however, to safety and security considerations;
- provide justification for the use of a rental vehicle or a private vehicle, if applicable;
- provide justification for the use of taxis or private transport, if applicable;
- upon return, and no later than six months after the last day of the mission, declare if any changes in the planned itinerary, accommodation or meals offered during the mission and ask if applicable reimbursement of all authorized additional costs incurred as well as a voluntary reduction of the expenses;
- provide proof of accommodation costs and all other costs incurred, listed in paragraphs 2.1.5, 2.3 and 2.4.
Note: In accordance with the provisions of Operational Circular No. 11 ("Processing of personal data"), travellers are required to update their profile data themselves in the online booking tool.
The travel arranger can assist the traveller with their request and must:
- present a comparison of transport costs when a private stay is added to the mission;
- present a comparison with the most cost-effective journey made by public transport, if the person sent on mission uses their private vehicle;
- when returning from a mission, check the Mission request / Travel request (TRVL), which is based on the information provided by the person concerned.
Group leader / Team leader
The group leader or, if the traveller is a user, the team leader must :
- validate the duration of the mission and the absence;
- confirm the need for the mission;
- validate the mode of transport, including the justification for the use of a rental vehicle or a private vehicle, which should be based on the needs of the service;
- approve or reject the Mission request / Travel request (TRVL);
- approve or reject any modifications compared to the initial request;
- approve or reject any requests for recovery periods (see paragraph 4.3);
Budget manager / Team Account Manager
The budget manager, or, if the traveller is a user, the team account manager must :
- check the budget estimate of the cost of the trip against the available budget;
- check the validity of the budget code;
- approve or reject the mission request;
- upon return, approve or reject the request for additional charges resulting from a change from the original request;
Departmental travel manager
- ensure the strict and uniform application in the department of Administrative Circular No. 33 (January 2020): Missions;
- act as the central point of contact for all travellers and Department Travel Arrangers, as well as the FAP Travel Coordinator or the Claims Office, as required;
- manage out-of-policy reservations in Traveldoo :
- continental flights costing more than CHF 200 more than the most economical flight, or costing more than CHF 900;
- intercontinental flights costing more than 50% more than the most economical flight, or costing more than CHF 2,000;
- special seat reservations or upgrades for medical reasons;
- transport booked without going through Traveldoo or CWT (eg in exceptional circumstances, emergency situation, etc.);
- verify the justification given in the event of cancellation of the mission by the person sent on mission and decide, depending on the reason for the cancellation, whether the costs incurred will be borne by the member of personnel or by CERN;
- approve or reject exceptional requests for reimbursement of expenses in excess of the daily travel allowance;
- authorize or refuse, before the trip, the payment of additional childcare costs resulting from the mission;
- at the request of the head of department, produce a data analysis and communicate information on mission expenses;
- communicate all relevant information to travel arrangers and travellers from their department, as required.
The travel coordinator :
- serves as the first point of contact for Departmental Travel Managers;
- organizes regular coordination meetings between departmental travel managers;
- offers training or content to help departmental travel managers as needed;
- liaises with the Claims Office of the Personnel Accounting section (FAP-ACC-PA), in charge of monitoring and reimbursing mission expenses, as well as with the Accounts Payable section (FAP-ACC-AP), in charge of paying CWT invoices.
- offers updates to the Admin e-guide based on the feedback given by departmental travel managers;
- proposes updates of travel-related processes which comply with CERN rules and are streamlined;
- provide input on CERN rules and policies relating to travel as appropriate;
- prepares reports and analyzes covering the whole of CERN as required;
- manages the CWT contract.
Travel Managers coordination meetings and communications
All content available in Indico.